Thursday, December 20, 2007

Thinking makes it so

A friend sent me an email this morning talking about the holidays. He commented on how different it is when you’re divorced and have to spend part or all of the holiday alone.

I’d recently thought about something similar. I was thinking about how Christmas changes at different seasons of our lives. When I was little it was a magical event. Sometimes, I still almost feel that mystical presence in the air. Then as a teenager it lost some of the thrill. But once I had kids, the fun returned because I felt their excitement. Now, the kids are grown and the holiday, for me, is back to being less-than climatic. I have the grandchildren now, but it’s not the same as putting the kids to bed and feeling that magical anticipation in the air.

So, even though the holiday changes for me, I still know that my expectation, the pressure I put on myself, is a determinant of how much I will enjoy the day. Because thinking truly does make it so. The thoughts I have about the day, e.g. “This is going to suck,” or “I can’t WAIT for Christmas,” will determine how I feel. How many events have we ruined by thinking them through over and over, or by pre-deciding how it will feel?

The event itself does not bring us pain or joy. It is how we perceive the event that brings the emotions attributed to it.

So, I can't WAIT for Christmas! Wishing you all a happy holiday, as well!

1 comment:

chrissy said...

Heeeelllloooo...did you move?